Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Actual Yarn

Recently I've been doing lots of spinning. My husband very thoughtfully gave me a 1 yard niddy-noddy, nostepinne, and two toy wheel spindles last November for my birthday, even though he had no idea what anything but the spindle actually did or functioned as. I already had a toy wheel spindle that I hadn't touched in a month or two but his gift renewed my interest. The spindles are kind of heavy, 1.5 - 2 oz., good for plying and thicker weight yarn, but I really wanted to try something lighter so I went on a spending spree and ordered lots of fiber from some really great shops on etsy and a lighter spindle. So I present to you what i consider to be my first real yarn.

It's a 50/50 superwash merino/tencel in the "Fraises" colorway from Squoosh. Very pretty. I didn't plan out how I was going to spin it in any way, so unfortunately to me it came out kind of muddled. I've got about 200 yds of sport to DK weight. Can't find any pattern that I like to knit this into, so it will sit until I find something.

So after doing my part to stimulate the economy, I now have 5 spindles, and quite a bit of fiber. I have some superwash merino hanging to dry that I will try to get pictures of if the sun ever somes out.

I also did lots of christmas knitting which I will not detail here because there was alot of it and, well, I don't feel like it. If you feel so inclined, it's all on my Ravelry page. What I am working on right now is Kingscot. Jaeger Extra-Fine Merino DK. It's yummy. But also difficult to take good photos of because of the color which is indigo. I've completed the back and left front but you'll have to wait to the sun to come out for more pics.

In other news, we are oficially in nesting mode here at the house. The new baby will be here in a mere three months (!) so it's time to rearrange bedrooms to accomodate. And take down wallpaper. Fun. But I'm very much looking forward to painting and having everything in it's place. In addition to the bedrooms, I will finally be tackling a small makeover of the mezzanine level of my house. Hubby is very skeptical of my color choices so I have recruited a more expert opinion. Paint samples this weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you! I think the yarn looks lovely and that you'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you knit it up. Happy New Year!

JessicaRose said...

I think that's awesome. I've even managed to get to my wheel a little lately. But I'm getting some different fiber the end of the month and looking for a light weight drop spindle. Any recommendations?

kasiaiscarly said...

Hahahahaha! I think this is the first time I've ever been called an expert :)

The yarn looks great, btw. . . is it a Spinsanity spindle?